Prayer for the week :
Lord, teach us how to leave more than carbon footprints behind us; teach us how our daily choices and actions can be a part of your eternal interaction with the world. We want out imprints to make you proud, not sad.
Reading for the week
Rev 22:2 ‘The leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations’.
Actions for the week – focussing on emissions
- Sunday 10th of March: Tread lightly – try to travel by foot, bike, or public transport whenever possible.
- Monday 11th of March: Drive more calmly. Aggressive driving, which includes excessive acceleration and frequent braking, wastes petrol. Go with the flow of traffic, and don't try to always pass other cars. Not only is this safer, but it can improve your mileage by up to a third on the highway. Remember meat-free Monday!
- Tuesday 12th of March: Follow the speed limit. Most cars reach their optimal efficiency at around 90km per hour. Efficiency decreases rapidly above this. You'll save money, too!
- Wednesday 13th of March: Double up journeys: do shopping on your way home from work, school or somewhere else you have to go today. Share lifts with friends or try to do all your errands together.
- Thursday 14th of March: Don't idle, especially if you'll be waiting in one spot for more than a minute. Idling for 10 seconds uses about as much fuel as it takes to restart the vehicle, so it's more efficient to turn off the engine while you wait
- Friday 15th of March: Turn off the air conditioning. Use your automobile's flow-through ventilation system or open the windows at lower speeds. Running the air conditioner can reduce your mileage by up to 20 percent. Enjoy some fish today!
- Saturday 16th of March: Check your tire pressure once a month. Inflate your tires to the pressure listed inside the driver's side door or in the owner's manual. Do not inflate to the maximum pressure printed on the tire itself. Properly inflated tires last longer, are safer and can improve gas mileage by about 3 percent.