The ministry was officially initiated in November 2006 with 10 participating members ... all retirees. The aims were to make retirees feel useful and to offer caring services when emergency situations arose.
From March 2010, it was agreed that the Retirees Group would concentrate on matters directly related to the more elderly people in our congregation and in the Retirement Village next door.
Some highlights on the activities are:
- Production of a pamphlet detailing concessions for pensioners (currently being updated).
- Presentation/talk on the importance of being money-wise and planning for retirement.
- Production of a guideline for keeping important documents (Wills, Policies, Tax etc.).
- Professional talk on macula degeneration and how to cope with it.
- Social outings to Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens.
- Production of a photographic history of St Michael and All Angels - the first 25 years (currently on-going).
- Assisting other ministries.
- Arranging other social events such as musical mornings held in the Social Centre at the Village.
- Arranging visits to places of interest on an ad hoc basis.
The Retirees Group has put together an information pamphlet on the administrative steps we should all take before we die, in order to make things easier for our loved ones. You can download the Be Prepared pamphlet here.
We have also put together a list of concessions for pensioners that are available in Weltevreden Park and the surrounding areas. You can download the Concessions for Pensioners pamphlet here.